2017 Kitchen Design Trends
HAPPY NEW YEAR from Design Firm!
Out with the old, in with the new. With the turn of a new year, we’re seeing some new trends that will be making a splash in kitchen design this year. This blog is packed full of inspirational kitchens that showcase the new kitchen trends.
From hidden appliances to beautifully painted cabinets in complementing colors, homeowners want their kitchen to be stylish enough for entertaining, yet welcoming and functional for everyday use.
- Tuxedo kitchen cabinets: Mix up a kitchen’s color palette with Tuxedo cabinets. Homeowners can do a literal interpretation with black and white, but use other complementary colors, such as navy blue and soft gray, for a softer contrast.
- Hidden appliances: Ditch stainless steel appliances, which can feel cold and industrial, and switch them for hidden appliances that easily meld into the design scheme. They provide an unexpected touch for those who plan on spending plenty of time in the kitchen.
- Wood paneling: Transport your kitchen back to grandma’s kitchen with wood paneling, also known as shiplap. Use white shiplap to give a clean, modern finish. We’re seeing shiplap used on whole walls, not just as a backsplash.
- Mixed hardware finishes: Instead of going for a monochromatic stainless steel look, we are seeing appliances and accessories with various finishes, such as gold, copper or pewter. The final result is an eclectic, one-of-a-kind space. Caitlyn Wilson’s Design 101 blog gives some great tips on mixing your metals.
- Speckled granite: Homeowners are no longer limited to granite countertops. Instead, they’re going for quartz, marble and butcher block countertops that are easier to stain and maintain.
- Short cabinets: Ditch the short cabinets, and install taller ones. Tall cabinets make a small kitchen look bigger and brighter.
- Dark brown wood and paint colors: “Bigger and brighter” will be the name of the game for 2017. With that, dark paint, accessories and wood finishes will go out of style.